In Systema it is fairly simple: everything that destroys is wrong and everything that strengthens and builds is correct.
Systema is a unique martial art that acts as an effective vehicle for self-realisation & improvement.
In most martial arts you are taught forms and/or techniques which lead you to the principles – the correct state of mind, body & soul.
Systema is different. It starts with the principles from which you develop your own way to move & respond. This leads to a martial art which is:
- unique: individual to you
- spontaneous: born in the moment
- versatile: useful in a variety of situations
The Pillars of Systema
Systema training is based on four simple, yet profound pillars (principles):
Breath is the foundation of Systema training. Correct breathing leads to relaxation in body & mind allowing movement that is natural & free of tension.
In Systema, the synergy of three components creates a True Warrior:
- Strong Spirit: The spirit (or psychological state) has to be calm, free of anger, fear, self-pity, delusion & pride.
- Healthy Body: The body has to be free of tension, filled with endurance, flexibility, effortless movement & explosive potential.
- Combat Skill: The combat skill includes natural movements that are powerful, precise, economical, spontaneous, subtle & diverse.
The warrior lifestyle is more than being able to fight. It involves striving to deepen your character, living a life with honour & integrity, taking care of your family & friends.
The goal of Systema is to develop calm, stable, strong individuals who are able to protect themselves and others; performing the ordinary under extraordinary circumstances.
Be a good person and everything else will come to you.
What is Systema?
I regularly train with Matt Hill who runs Wiltshire Martial Arts (a full-time club in Melksham). These 2 videos featuring him are a useful introduction to Systema.
An Introduction to the Martial Art of Systema
What is Systema? An interview with Matt Hill
Systema Videos featuring Martin Wheeler
Martin Wheeler runs the The Academy Beverley Hills. These videos show some of his sublime work & also help to introduce Systema.
Kick Ass Like a Russian Spy
Systema Short Work
Systema Knife Concept
Systema Videos featuring Vladimir Vasiliev
Vladamir Vasilliev is the Director and Chief Instructor of Systema Headquarters, Toronto. These videos highlight some of his outstanding work.